Tuesday 2 July 2013

My Stay-At-Home Graduate Gap Year


So, after finally finishing all my exams, handing in coursework, ordering my graduation cap and gown, looking at travel tour brochures and realising it would take a lot longer than I hoped to save up for one, I spent a lot more time looking out of the window and deciding that what I wanted to do with my life was to be a cat....

Ok, so graduating two years earlier than most of my school friends, skipping the around-the-world post-A levels gap year, and being one of the youngest in my year group, I can relax slightly on the job front and have decided on a gap year of sorts. A stay-at-home gap year is a very environmentally friendly way of working out what you want to do, gaining valuable transferable skills and experience and generally getting your life in order. 

Here's what I plan to do with my 'stay-at-home graduate gap year':

1) Volunteer - I've already worked in local charity shops and at local events so plan to continue on the same road as its a great way of gaining customer service and retail experience.

2) Blog and YouTube - I started my blog two years ago and have recently started blogging every day, so watch this space and enjoy!

3) Job Hunt - Generally work out the specific jobs and sectors I want to work in and apply for jobs in those areas.

4) New Experiences - While I don't have the time pressure of a 9-5 job I'm going to take on as many new experiences as come my way.

5) Travel - I'm not sure what will happen here, it depends on how quickly I can save money, if at all, but I have got plans for a few adventures in the UK, so holiday-at-home it is!

Check out these websites on stay at home gap years:
http://www.do-it.org.uk/magazine/features/personaldevelopment/gapyearathome
http://www.ecofriendlykids.co.uk/stay-at-home-gap-year.html

Are you planning one?

Carpe Diem xx

No comments:

Post a Comment