- Apple (triangle downward)
- Apple shaped women have broad(er) shoulders compared to their (narrower) hips. Apple shaped women tend to have slim legs/thighs, while the abdomen and chest look out of proportion compared to the rest of the body. Fat is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face.Style icons: Drew Barrymore, Kate Winslet
- Banana or straight/"boyish" (rectangular)
- The waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hips or bust measurement. Body fat is distributed predominantly in the abdomen, buttocks, chest, and face. This overall fat distribution creates the typical ruler (straight) shape.Style icons: Cameron Diaz, Mischa Barton, Kiera Knightley
- Pear or spoon or bell (triangle upward)
- The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement. The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips, and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this body type tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs, and a small(er) bosom.Style icons: Beyonce Knowles, Christina Aguilera, Tyra Banks
- Hourglass shape. (triangles opposing, facing in)
- The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist. Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips, and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen.Style icons: Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway
A study of over 6,000 women carried out by researchers at the North Carolina State University around 2005 found that 46% were banana (rectangular), just over 20% pear, just under 14% apple, and 8% hourglass. Another study has found "that the average woman's waistline had expanded by six inches since the 1950s" and that today women are taller and have bigger busts and hips than those of the 1950s.
How do you dress for/style outfits your shape?
(WATCH OUT FOR MY BODY SHAPE BLOG SERIES ON EACH BODY TYPE)
Carpe diem xx