So I've just finished my second year at university and like thousands of others, as well as school leavers, I'm suddenly faced with the prospect that after next July I have nothing planned. No more years in education to finish, no training or apprenticeship organised. I suddenly realise....I have to get a job. Not only that, but I have to get a job in a global recession where thousands of people are being made redundant. But never fear, there are thousands of people in the same position as you, no more clued up, qualified, experienced or ready for work than you feel. Here are some top tips that can help the transition into the workplace....
1) Make use of social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook to up your internet profile, learn about new job or work experience opportunities, and communicate with future employers
2) Volunteer in your local area
3) Try to build up as much relevant work experience in the sector that you're interested in working in
4) Build up your knowledge and skills through training qualifications that will help you in the work that you'd like to do
5) Learn from the experience of others who are or have been in your position
6) Read literature such as Denise Taylor's 'How To Get A Job In A Recession'
Carpe diem xx